Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Breakfast Sunday: YangChow, Dried Pusit, and Burong Kamias


 I love Sundays. My mom cooks more food.


Pickled kamias, crispy squid, and Yang Chow fried rice


Our oversupply of kamias (Averrhoa bilimbi; bilimbi; cucumber tree) made for very good and very sour buro (pickles).  We have a kamias tree at home, so if you want some of the fruit, you're welcome to come over if you're my friend.  haha. The kamias was the perfect companion to crispy dried pusit (squid) and Pinoy Yang Chow.


home-made pickled kamias

Yang Chow fried rice recipe:

1. Sautee garlic and onion in oil. We love lots of onion and garlic in our fried rice.
2. Add ham and Chorizo Macau (if you want, you can add roast pork, peas, shrimps, etc.).  If you're going to add shrimps, stir fry until they turn pink and add in your roast pork after.
3.  Mix one egg (or more if you wish) into the toppings.
4.  Add left-over rice and mix it all up.
5. Serve while hot.

Burong kamias recipe:

1.  Cut kamias in half, lengthwise.  Place in a container.
2. Add water into container. How much is up to you. The kamias will release some water, so you can expect your buro to have more liquid later on. I don't mind too much water though.  I pour the brine into my rice and it makes me want to eat more.
3.  Layer with salt (amount depends on your desired saltiness). Pepper flakes are optional, but I recommend it.
4.  Let sit for 24 hours or more before putting in the ref.  My mom made this batch last Thursday, and we ate it Sunday.  The kamias should be soft (but still with a bit of crispness) and very sour, with a hint of spiciness (if you added pepper).
5.  Eat with anything fried.

I had three servings of breakfast today.  If you have a taste for Filipino food and this breakfast was served to you , you'll probably have more than I did. =)